To be in compliance with Texas law, a Dental Assistant may not position or expose dental x-rays unless the Dental Assistant is REGISTERED with the State Board of Dental Examiners (SBDE). SBDE Registration: 512.463.6400.
Once you have successfully completed a Dental Assistant Course and Examination with an SBDE Approved Provider or have taken the JURISPRUDENCE ASSESSMENT, you must apply to the SBDE for Registration. Upon receiving the certification of Registration from SBDE you may use the RDA Credential. SBDE provides Licensure Verification.
A Registered Dental Assistant is required to renew Registration biennially. In other words, renew every two (2) years with:
- Copy of current Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Card
- Six (6) hours of Continuing Education (CE)
- Complete a human trafficking prevention course approved by Texas Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC)
- Renewal Fee
Note: Dental Assistants who have other certifications must have up-to twelve (12) hours of CE biennially. Having Nitrous Oxide Monitoring Certification is included.
- Radiology Certification – Required
- Infection Control Certification – Required
- Jurisprudence – Required
- Current Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Card – Required
- Nitrous Oxide Monitoring Certification
- Pit & Fissure Sealant Certification
- Coronal Polishing Certification